10212026
RIP BioWare.
First, fuck EA, truly.
Second, this is awful news for a multitude of reasons. While BW was never the same after a lot of the heavy hitters left and EA ruining ME:A, it still breaks my heart to see this happen.
Mass Effect was a huge part of my life for a few years; co-ran an online community for it (protip: don't run a large LiveJournal community when you are mentally sick and unmedicated), made lots of hilariously terrible art and fic… it was basically my monofandom experience up until ME3, which I never finished and never will. Hell, I didn’t even mind Andromeda, flawed as it was. Can't remember a single thing about it but I don't remember it being as terrible as Gamers(TM) were saying it was.
Strictly IMHO, it might be for the best that the next ME game is cancelled seeing how certain other games turned out due to a pileup of changes, shakeups, and publisher meddling. Just have to look at DA:V and I'm like, yeah, probably for the best. Surprised EA didn't hand off the IP to Respawn or one of their subsidiaries though they're all saddled with Star Wars shit ATP. Don't count on EA selling off the IP either: they're gonna cling to it until the heat death of the universe and license it out to other developers/companies.
(I fear for a day when I wake up and find out that EA is letting BitBot do a Mass Effect comic continuation and/or a 2D sidescroller game through their shell company that made the RHPS game and LoK: Ascendance. IYKYK.)
That said, I loved ME and part of me still does, not to mention all the fond memories... but I burned myself out so hard and so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to buy the Legendary Edition.
Regardless, the whole thing absolutely sucks no matter which way you slice it.
Just… damn. RIP to one of the greats.
